By: Tara Sabo
Published: December 2016
If you sign up for sessions with a personal trainer, you will get targeted attention that will help you reach your health and fitness goals—but what if personal training sessions don’t interest you, or maybe it’s not in your budget? The answer: Group fitness. Join any gym and you will gain access to
a list of classes. One of which is bound to meet your needs. And, yes—you can (and should!) take the class.
Many people shy away from group fitness classes:
“What if I can’t keep up?”
“I’ve never done it before.”
“I’m not strong enough.”
“I don’t know anyone else.”
“It won’t be a good workout.”
The list goes on, and many of these reasons are quickly debunked the moment you take that first step into the studio. Group fitness professionals are trained to make you feel at ease as they challenge you to step outside of your comfort zone. I’m sure you’ve heard: That’s where all the magic happens. There are a variety of reasons why you should be attending group fitness classes. Here are a few:
1) Go and keep going and you’ll gain a room full of accountability partners. You will make friends, and they will help you stay motivated to reach your health and fitness goals.
2) Group fitness is fun, it really is.
3) You don’t have to worry about coming up with a workout that is effective. The instructor will do that for you, every class…every time.
4) Every group fitness class can be modified, which is totally acceptable. It’s also a way for you to monitor progress. Eventually, you’ll need to remove the modifications as the need for further challenge arises.
5) Most of the time, group fitness classes are free with paid gym memberships. If and when they aren’t, there is probably a very good reason why. All things considered, the price of attendance will be less than personal training sessions—and certainly less than a medical bill.
6) Group fitness instructors are full of information about health and fitness, and are always ready and willing to provide answers to your questions. (If they can’t, they will point you to someone who can!)
7) Group fitness class schedules are consistent, which ultimately helps you keep your health and fitness routine consistent from week to week.
8) In terms of interest, there is literally something for everyone. Find what fits your interests and embrace every aspect of the challenge.